Do You Love Money?

March Madness the basketball tournament is upon us.   One company is giving away one billion dollars, that is correct, one billion dollars for a perfectly picked bracket. It is free to enter and the chance of winning is 1:9,223,372,036,854,775,808.  That is no typo LOL.  I did enter since it was free but I am not holding my breath for a perfect bracket.  If I were to win, I thought about what that money could do to further the Kingdom of God.  Then I thought how others would view the money.  It may surprise you to learn how much the Bible says about finances.  There are more than 2,350 verses on how to handle money.  Jesus Christ said more about money than almost any other subject.

I’m RW and let’s have a fireside chat about “Do you love money?”

Money Money Money.  For the Love of Money was the title of a secular song in 1973 by the O’Jay’s.  It talks about the bad things, evil things, and the lying people would do for money.  But the song also has a verse that says “Money is the root of all evil” and that is not correct.  Money is not the root of evil but the “love of money is a root of all kind of evil” (1 Timothy 6:10).

Money seems to consume people.  Some will do anything to have and keep it.  Money becomes their master.   The bible says “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Matthew 6:24). We cannot be consumed by money.  As Christians we need to make sure our master is The Lord Jesus Christ.  When it comes to giving at church some people think 10% of their income is what the Lord is concerned about and the other 90% is theirs to do with what they want.  But what we have to realize is that it is all The Lord’s.  He is not just concern about the 10% but He is also concern about what you are doing with the other 90%.  There is a principle I would like to share with you.  I am not sure where I heard it but is speaks volumes to me.  Principle:The Lord does not bless you with more income to buy more things that you want.  He blesses you with more so that others may be blessed through you.”

As a Christian we should live with the perspective that God is our provider.  We should love God and not love money.  If we put God first and trust in His will for our lives He will provide everything we need.  The Bible says “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well” (Matthew 6:33).  But we have to put God first.  God knows what we need.  We have to remember what he deems for us may not be what aligns with our thinking.  But we know God knows what’s best for us.  The Bible says “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11). 

Remember the principle “The Lord does not bless you with more income to buy more things that you want.  He blesses you with more so that others may be blessed through you.”  The Lord has entrusted His money to you; so be a good steward of it.

“Protect the Brand” of Jesus Christ.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *